Tuesday 29 March 2016

Painting Project No. 36 & 37 from “Ways to Learn Acrylics”

Today I'm posting two still life projects from “Little Ways to Learn Acrylics: 50 small painting projects...” by Mark Daniel Nelson. They both involve perspective, straight lines and cast shadows…all the things I’m not good at so don’t expect much.

Project number 36 ‘Warm light, cool shadow: Gift box’. This exercise is similar to project 8; didn’t like it then, don’t like it now. Not finding my style yet but I am learning what it isn’t. As with the cardboard box, I spent a lot of time working and reworking the sides but this was more difficult because it had a ribbon. I left it on my easel for days messing around and then finally accepted the fact that it’s never going to be perfect.

Project number 37 ‘Rendering intricate details: Clothes peg’ was described in the book as having intricate parts that make it a challenging subject. Well that’s putting it mildly. Even though it was difficult to paint, the 'Clothes peg' was much easier than the ‘Gift box’. It might be because I didn’t get too worked up about the accuracy of shape and perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment