Tuesday 19 January 2016

Painting Project No. 13 from 'Ways to Learn Acrylics'

Most paintings in ‘Little Ways to Learn Acrylics: 50 small painting projects..." by Mark Daniel Nelson I like. ‘Layering cool over warm colours: Barn and pasture’ was not one of them. The example in the book had yellow ochre in the foreground showing through and unconvincing trees next to the barn. I tried using more green for the grass and less black in the trees, but still didn’t’ like the painting. My unbleached titanium may not be the same shade because my mixed colours looked too dark. To make things lighter I added titanium white with gloss medium and put a layer of it all over the painting.


I did a quick abstract of the same subject on acrylic paper and tried to use a pallet knife but it didn't work. Instead I used a brush and spray bottle to soften things and liked the results. Not my finest work but I’m learning a lot about colour and technique; five more and I’ll get to start Chapter 3:))

No comments:

Post a Comment