Sunday 7 June 2015

Cat Painting from 'Compendium of Acrylic Painting Techniques'

Leisure Painter is one of many art magazines in the UK, it's full of articles and advertisements all relating to art. There is a plethora of information; details on art clubs, exhibitions, book reviews, website news, letters, tips, views and tutorials for watercolour, acrylic, pastel etc. The adverts at the back for Holidays & Courses are interesting too; someday soon I’m going to go on a painter’s holiday.

The May 2014 issue had an article ‘From A to B’ that discussed using a pantograph; which was too difficult for me to use and a waste of my money. There was also an article demonstrating a painting by Bob Brandt called ‘Sunlit Harbour’; it was from ‘Compendium of Acrylic Painting Techniques’ by Gill Barron.

The Compendium book turned out to be very useful. There was an assignment on the glazing technique-pg147, which I tried. I wasn't as successful with the technique but I liked the painting. Glazing takes patience and I’m not a doctor....laugh here.

Annual subscriptions to magazines are less expensive; however I like to sample them all, so I'll just keep buying them as and when.

No comments:

Post a Comment