Saturday 27 June 2015

Acrylic Painting Class – Abstracts with Joel

To learn more about acrylics I enrolled in a 10 week acrylic painting class for beginners at Surrey Adult Learning Centre. My instructor was Joel Wareing and the class had a variety of people all interested in art.  In the first class we did exercises learning mark making and different painting techniques.

Assignment 1 - paint with two colours using different techniques, for example: washing, blending, stippling, sponge and palette knives. Since I was late to the class and didn't complete the assignment I haven't shown it.  Not my fault... there are so many buildings; I got lost and was traipsing around in the rain lugging all my art stuff. If you knew me, you would be laughing your head off right now.

Assignment 2 - to draw with a pencil and paper listening to different types of music.  We were to make marks on the paper according to what we were feeling. The exercise was really neat, you may even be able to tell from the marks what types of music was played.

Assignment 3 - From the 1st assignment choose a technique, from the 2nd a type of mark making. Then combine these on A3 paper. I liked the result and it was completely random.

The assignments were really well thought out and helped everyone to be free and creative. I really enjoyed the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment